Saturday, March 27, 2010

Men's Lunch at SYC

I received a bit of an introduction to the Seattle boating scene earlier this week as a guest at the Seattle Yacht Club's weekly Men's Lunch. I was meeting with a friend of my kindergarten teacher, a retired lawyer and longtime member of the club, to discuss the Seattle legal scene and job market. Our discussion was good and the food delicious, but I was most impressed with how friendly all of the other members were. They were keen to initiate introductions and greet an unfamiliar face, which is never a given in such a situation. In nearly a year as a member of my local golf club, I've only met a handful more people than I did in one afternoon at the SYC. I don't know whether that's a tribute to the SYC, the Men's Lunch function itself or the Seattle boating community in general, but it has to be a good sign for the future.

1 comment:

  1. Building your own boat? That's awesome. I worked with my dad on a few small dinghy-sized vessels, but nothing too serious. I believe they are all under the waves now.

    I'll be keeping up with this thing for sure. Can you build a boat in time to sail to New Zealand for a January 2011 wedding?

    ReplyDelete